Remembering that I’ ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me maket he big choices in life. Because almost everything— all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure—falls away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
Questions for Small Group Study
Chapter 1 – Mortality
- Did you grow up in a home where a member of the family died unexpectedly, or perhaps at a young age? How did that mark you? How did that impact your family once you got over the initial deep grief?
- What are the ways that God helped you sort out the issues of the death of your loved one? In what ways does it still impact you today?
- Read Romans 8:37–39. What does it mean to you?
- James 4:14 teaches that life is like a vapor: here, and then gone. Ponder that. What really is that saying?
- Read out loud together the declaration on page 10.