We don’t honor just to get a reward; we honor because it is the heart of God, and it is our delight.
Questions for Small Group Study
Chapter 23 – Honoring
- The author makes the case that the Eastern half of the globe seems to understand the principle of honoring more than the Western world. For example, if you were raised in an Asian culture, which practices a system of honoring, what was that like? If you were born and raised in the Western world without Eastern influence, do you understand what is the author speaking of? Why might that be? What might an “atmosphere of honoring” look like?
- Review Ephesians 6:2-3, which refers to the first of the 10 Commandments. What does it mean to honor your father and mother? (Clue: It has to do with not merely your earthly father and mother, but it has to do with the authority figures in your life.) In what ways in our culture do we honor appropriately? In what ways do we dishonor, perhaps without even knowing it?
- Review Leviticus 19:32. What is it saying?
- Review I Timothy 5:17. What is it saying?
- Go to page 229 and read aloud the personal declaration.